The Associate of Arts degree with a major in Worship Ministries is designed to provide students with basic musical competencies and prepare them for future training in the area of worship and music studies.
Students graduating with an Associate of Arts degree with a major in Worship Ministries will be able to:
- Demonstrate basic knowledge in music theory, the history of music for worship, and conducting.
- Demonstrate an introductory understanding of the theological foundations of Christian ministry.
- Demonstrate introductory competence in practical skills of Christian ministry, such as information management, strategic decision-making, and communication.
- Demonstrate a basic foundation for subsequent formal and informal education.
- Demonstrate improved musical practice and performance skills.
- Demonstrate a basic orientation to local church music ministry.
Worship Ministry Catalog
GENERAL EDUCATION CORE (42 HOURS)
BN170 Introduction to Business and Finance
GE205 World Geography
CM110 Basic Communication
GE101 English Composition I
GE102 English Composition II
GE135 Quantitative Reasoning
GE240 Survey of World Literature
GE185 Introduction to Physical Science
HM344 Christianity and the Arts
HT210 American History
HT411 World Religions
MS201 Global Missions
PY100 Introduction to Psychology
GS181 Integrative I, Leadership (1 hr)
GS382 Integrative II, Assessment (1 hr)
GS483 Integrative III, Capstone (1 hr)
Worship Ministries Major (34 HOURS)
MU101 Music Theory I * (3 hr)
MU102 Aural Skills I (1 hr)
MU103 Music Theory II (3 hr)
MU104 Aural Skills II (1 hr)
MU201 Music Theory III (3 hr)
MU202 Aural Skills III (1 hr)
MU302 Intro to Church Music & Worship Leadership (3 hr)
MU233 History of Music for Worship I (3 hr)
MU234 History of Music for Worship II (3 hr)
MU341 Introduction to Conducting (2 hr)
MU361 Integrative Seminar in Worship Ministries (1 hr)
Primary Applied Major (4 hrs) Areas of study: Voice, Piano, Guitar, Other
Secondary Applied Minor** (2 hrs) Areas for Study: Voice, Piano
MU325 Basic Guitar for the Worship Musician*** (1 hr)
Ensemble Participation**** (3 hrs) MU481 Chapel Choir, MU482 Chapel Band, MU484 Voices of Midwestern
* Music Fundamentals is a prerequisite for students entering Music Theory/Aural Skills I. All students will be requierd to take a test in music fundamentals to determine if remedial work is required.
** Secondary Applied Minors are in Voice, Piano, & Guitar. Each student must select two competencies and are required to pass a proficiency upon the completion of each.
*** Students who are proficient at guitar and are able to pass a proficiency exam may substitute MU385 Leading Worship with the Guitar
**** Students must complete 3 semesters of Ensemble participation to satisfy degree requirements.